Thursday, June 11, 2009

Meeting the Team

It's been a few days now since my last post, so that means it's about time for an update. We have continued with Italian school each morning. Some days are more frustrating than others. It is difficult to catch on. Last Tuesday, we ate lunch with Julie, a friend from school who is from England. We had an enjoyable time visiting and enjoying Italian food.

Tuesday also marked the end of our "Cultural Immersion Project." We successfully completed everything on our list except taking a ride on the Navebus, a boat used for public transportation. Eventually we hope to accomplish this as well.

On Wednesday, we prepared for our first formal meeting with Team Italy One. We prepared a presentation complete with pictures and stories. They arrived around 4:45 p.m. We met the Debelak's and the Kroeker's, along with their children. Dustin was not able to make it due to illness. We sat around the kitchen table and shared stories and pictures representing our experiences over the past week and a half. Then they had a team meeting. It was interesting to observe the discussion and the strategies and struggles involved. Afterwards, we enjoyed supper with them, with the ladies serving us focaccia (a bread) with prosciutto (thin meat) and cheese. We also enjoyed salad, Pringles, and some Italian sweets. I enjoyed having Pepsi to drink. It was a great evening. I really felt at home with the team and look forward to getting to know them better over the next weeks.

Today after class, we talked with Andrew and Dustin about our next few weeks (and enjoyed some gelato!). I am so encouraged that they seek to tailor our experiences to our specific interests and what we hope to learn, both about ourselves and our futures. Avant has never done an internship program before, so this is new for all of us, and it was so encouraging to hear them say that they care about us as individuals!
Since I don't have many pictures from the past few days, I thought I'd put a few pictures of the food I've been tasting!


My first cappuccino in Italy


Capricciosa (cook's special) with artichokes, green olives, prosciutto, and cheese

A wrap with prosciutto and cheese

Penne Camogli

Bruschetta (like toast) topped with pesto, some greens, dried tomatoes, and cheese

I also tried this bruschetta with tomatoes and fish. Not my favorite!

Delicious!

Trofie al Pesto (small noodles, green beans, and potatoes smothered in pesto)

Tiramisu for dessert

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janae!
    I just took the time to read your entire blog! What a fantastic adventure you have had already! I'm so excited for you! I do look forward to sharing your adventures in the coming weeks as well. We'll have plenty of photos and stories to share when you return to the States!! Praying for you!
    cthomas

    ReplyDelete